Thursday, May 26, 2011

New Blog!

So, I know I haven't posted in about a year but I have some awesome news! No, moms, I'm not preggers. I started a beauty blog! It's very pretty and lovely and even though I only have one post up so far, I'm quite proud of it and I know it's gunna turn out to be pretty epic. I included the link in this post for anyone that's interested and I know all the family will be.

I started this blog because I finally realized what my life's passion is and where I want to go in life as far as my career. And it only took me 24 friggin years to discover it. I've always loved makeup but the obsession really started when Sephora opened up in the Boise mall in 2007. I had read about (although, I don't remember where) Urban Decay's Eye Shadow Primer Potion and knew that had to be my first purchase. I was convinced at the time that I just couldn't wear eye shadow anymore due to my oily skin causing my makeup to crease and gunk up within 2 hours. I would wipe it all off and reapply but that was getting to be too much. It was silly really. Who's gunna apply makeup every two hours when they're working an eight hour shift? But I did until I decided to just give up on eye makeup for awhile.
So, I stuck to eyeliner (bottom only), mascara, and some concealer and powder. That's IT. When I found out about the primer I was amped. I thought to myself, "If this truly does what it says it does and keeps my makeup looking fresh all day long until I wash it off, then this will change everything." I really had no idea how much it would change. It literally opened up a whole new world for me. A world where I actually had a passion for something and would do anything I could involving that passion. A world where I felt like I was nearly an expert on something, where I wanted to share my knowledge with others, where I finally could retain mountains of information without even trying, where I actually felt creative and artistic, and a world where I had something to aim for and would strive to make it happen.

It started with that primer and continued with my first giant Sephora eye shadow palette, my Sigma brushes, and Youtube tutorials from the lovely TiffanyD. When we moved here I was pretty bummed out about the lack of beauty stores and the cosmetics department in our tiny BX. But I had just gotten my new palette from my wonderful husband and that was keeping me entertained for awhile. My life with makeup was simpler back then. And cheaper.

Meanwhile, I began aimlessly browsing everything beauty online. I mostly checked Sephora to learn about new brands and products. I then discovered video tutorials and my all-time favorite makeup guru, TiffanyD. She made doing eye shadow looks so easy and fun that I started trying out a few things and realized I had a natural skill for it as well. I could do all the looks but I also wanted more of a challenge.

I ordered my Sigma brushes that she raved about and that's when the real fun began. I had never owned high-quality makeup brushes before. Just a random drugstore brand powder brush here and there but nothing as spectacular as this. They made my eye shadow looks all the more stunning and defined. I fell in love. They made me want to experiment more and see what else I could do with my own personal canvas. Turns out, I could do a lot. Now, when it comes to drawing or painting, I suck. Big time. I was the kid who colored in purple faces with green hair in her Barbie coloring book. But when it comes to my face, I feel like a real artist. I was amazed at myself but wasn't so confident that it looked as good as I thought, yet.

Sometime before the Sigma purchase, the brand new sparkling BX opened up. The second biggest in the world (damn you Rammstein!) and it was extremely exciting. You see, Okinawa doesn't really have malls and we are completely limited when it comes to retail. Things you probably take for granted, we ache for. Like Walmart, different options for grocery stores and drugstores, and finding every day products that you know are gunna be at every store you go to. I can't find a certain Loreal shampoo here that I've been wanting to try cause the BX just doesn't stock it. So, although it was much much bigger, the BX still left a lot to be desired when it came to beauty and skincare.

That being said, there was two things I jumped up and down for when I first entered the new store. Not only did they have a larger cosmetics department, but they now stocked the high-end makeup brands NARS and Smashbox. I couldn't believe it. It was like a breath of fresh air for me. There were so many products I had been aching to purchase but couldn't when I realized (angrily) that Sephora didn't ship to APO addresses. It hadn't yet come to my slow brain that I could've ordered off of the brands' official website. Eventually, Too Faced Cosmetics also joined their high-end sisters in our BX. I was in makeup heaven. Dustin was in makeup hell.

Soon, I began to get many compliments on my makeup. Nearly every time I went out people would say how much they loved my eye shadow colors or my blush. I also heard, "I wish I could do that. I can't do that at all." very often. My response would be, "Yes you can. You just have to practice." because I wasn't always this good. I got a few suggestions that I teach people how to do the looks I wear but I kinda just laughed it off. I didn't take them seriously at all and I knew I could never do something like that due to my Social Anxiety Disorder.

It wasn't until I was sitting around the house, unemployed, praying to God to show me what to do with all my spare time, that I realized that that was exactly what I needed to do. I was going crazy looking for a job and I knew there was a reason I wasn't getting any calls. God didn't want me to just sit around the house during the week as much as I didn't. So I started my makeup classes. I've only taught 3 so far but I believe they are going pretty well. My friends seem to like it and I have some random people interested in future lessons where I actually charge strangers. Pretty scared about that one but I know I can get through it.

So, now the blog. I want to do everything I can to get experience and my name out there as a self-taught makeup "guru". I researched for a few days about the best ways to generate traffic to my blog. I posted on OkinawaHaiOkinawa yard sales and my facebook. I also joined a few blog search engines. Yesterday, I spent literally all day working on my layout and first post. I didn't think it would be up till tomorrow but I didn't want to stop so it's up now. I am very proud of it so far and I want you guys to know how dedicated I am to it. This is what I want to do with my life so I am putting my heart and soul into this blog. I will also be updating Santillan Adventures as much as I can cause I do miss it.

Be sure to check out all aspects of the new blog and check back often. I'm excited for what I have planned and I think you guys will be very proud of me. :) Love you all!

LoL Dustin...we're so meant to be

No comments:

Post a Comment