Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Torii Beach Jazz Festival

Today is Dustin's 25th birthday and before I get started on his Mountain Dew cupcakes I wanted to post about what we did on Saturday.

Dustin had to work on Saturday because of how behind they are at the lab. It's pretty ridiculous and they'll probably have to work this Saturday too. Very lame. But we decided to go to Torii Beach after he got out. Torii Beach is actually on the Army base and so is owned by the military. It just had it's grand re-opening back in May and I'd been wanting to check it out since I knew it would be less crowded than some of the public beaches off base. It also has a water slide, a fountain, cute little over night cabins, and lots of kayaks and other water type dealys you can rent.

The jazz festival was just another excuse for us to go. If you know Dustin, you know that he's a huge fan of jazz. Not the elevator, Kenny G crap though. That's not even music. He digs more of the big band swing type of jazz that just makes you wanna jump around like a maniac. So he was excited. And I was excited to be outta the house finally and on a beach. Thank goodness it was finally sunny out. It was the first sunny day after almost 2 weeks of rain. And not just regular rain. Friggin' thunderstorms every single day. It was frustrating. I've read that May and June are the rainy months. Thank God that's almost over.

Ok! On to the pictures!

Torii Station (the army base) was actually pretty close by. And we had no idea until we looked it up. It was about a 10 minute drive. There were quite a few people there but it wasn't so overwhelming.

Here's the beach. Isn't it lovelery??

Dustin attempting to open our umbrella. He had a lot of trouble with that. I had to eventually put my camera down and help.

There we go! Hooray!

Tiny hermit crab Dustin found and almost fell in love with.

It kept trying to crawl off of him and he kept dropping it because he was scared that it would pinch him.

Here he is still trying to pick up the crab.

Me. Clearly not amused at all the pictures Dustin kept taking of me. There's a pretend boardwalk there. I could've picked it up and walked away with it.

Water slide all the way yonder! Dustin went down it. It was funny watching him wait on line because he looked like a pedophile stalker with his shirt off, surrounded by all those kids. Good times. I was too scared to go down the slide cause I'm a pussy. The last and only time I went down a water slide was when I was 9. It was at Sesame Place and when I landed in the water at the end I swear I almost drowned. Then I stood up and realized it was only up to my chest.

Lame.

Super lame.

Super duper dog dare ya lame. Whatever that means.

Here's the stage where all the performances were. But we could hear the music from the beach. The first few bands were just ok and kinda boring. Eventually we got hungry and got some Japanese food from one of the vendors and sat on the grass here.

Then I realized the sun was setting so after we ate we jumped up (not literally. we're too lazy for that shizz) and headed over to the beach again. After, that is, we got some craptacular pina coladas. Seriously, we paid $5.50 for each and it was like halfway melted alcohol smoothies. They really sucked.

I kept trying to take pictures of the sunset around these bitches but it just got too frustrating. Oh yea, the water was super warm. Like expensive heated pool warm. It was really nice. The only problem was the huge amounts and pieces of coral and rock that hurt to walk on. For anyone that visits us, I suggest you bring water shoes. You'll need them on pretty much every beach.
I didn't wear water shoes though. We didn't think to bring them. But do you wanna know a secret?? See that Mickey Mouse bag to the left? That's our beach bag that I put together about 2 months ago. When we got home later that night I brought it inside so I could wash our towels. Can you guess what was in the bottom of the bag? That's right. Water shoes! We're complete fools.

This is when I decided to take pictures of myself using our tiny table. This face is for the icky pina colada.

This face is for Kelly.

I don't know what this is.

Sunsets on the beach on a tropical island, make me beyond happy that I live here.

Oh yea! There's this inflatable raft thing that kids were playing on. It was cool. I didn't play on it though because I'm allergic to kids.

This is Dustin's artsy shot of his drink and the beach. I think it's pretty good.



Not as artsy. Actually kinda weird. After we couldn't see the sun anymore we got up again and headed back towards the stage. After we waited 20 minutes for some burnt caramel popcorn.

Two of the bands were AMAZING. The band that we wanted to see the most did not disappoint at all. Dustin and I were amazed by they're jazzy swing skills. They were called the Shoei Uehara Swing Quartet and they were all Okinawan except for one fat guy. And yes, I have videos!

BUT, since it was literally taking hours to upload them I'm gunna try to upload them another time, in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment