Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Botanical Gardens at Christmastime

Last year this time, we had just gotten to the island and were living at the Hamagawa Lodge off base. We had no friends and we were a couple of sad Santillans. But we had read that there was a wonderful light display at the botanical gardens and since we're super into lights and sparklies, we decided to go. We went on Christmas Eve and it was packed. We found out why as soon as we walked in.

They had gone ALL out with their decorating. There were lights on every palm tree and bush. It was quite the festive sight. Then there was an amazing laser, lights show that even had awesome fireworks at the end! Fireworks on Christmas eve! Needless to say, we loved it and it was great to do at least one Christmas thing that year. Christmas day we watched 30 Rock, ate cup of noodles and McDonald's, and I suffered from a severe allergy attack.

So when I figured out when the Southeast Botanical Gardens were doing their Christmas display this year, I was all in. And I invited my friend Stephanie Hodge and her husband, Erik(also Hodge...what are the odds?) along for the adventure. I had previously trained Steph at the Banyan Tree Club and we bonded right away. Then she quit the next day. Actually, it was more like 2 or 3 months later but it still felt like the next day. And then I was sad and I missed her.

I was sorry to see that apparently, the botanical gardens did a budget cut this year and they had about half the lights that they did last year. I was super bummed out but the Hodge's still thought it was pretty sweet. Then we found out that they weren't even doing their fireworks show. Then I was even sadder. We ended up staying only two hours cause it was cold out and there was no stinkin' show. Here's some of the shots I was able to get.

Before we left, I modeled to humor Dustin.

Super awesome pose extreme!


We look good together, I think.

Ugh. I always squint. And you can't see it here but we were sitting on frogs.

I wanted to steal that tree topper. But it was probably the size of my tree.

You could have someone take your picture in front of this tree with various props. Like stuffed animals and giant hearts made of tinsel(I think). Then you had to give up your first born if you would like to keep the framed picture in your home. So we passed on it this time. Because we were lacking in first born children.

Who doesn't love penguins?? No really. Find me someone that doesn't love penguins and I will fight them to the death.

Sooo pretty. It matched my makeup that night too. :)

A lot of the lights were out. It was kinda sad. Still pretty though.

Some dude.

He may not look like it, but I swear he was having fun.

Christmas hula. You know...that old traditional gig that we all grew up with.

These little girls were so cute and probably freezing their tiny hineys off! It was in the low 50s but with the humidity it feels a LOT colder. I was shivering after about an hour of being there and I was wearing 4 layers! I have a lovely video for you guys of the hula dancers 'cause it's hard to take non-blurry pictures of swaying hands and hips. Towards the end of the video when the little ones are dancing, the sound gets all crappy. I don't know if it's my camera or maybe I had my finger over the microphone or something. Enjoy the video anyways. I command you!

On the pond...

They still had some pretty sweet lights. Just not as many by far, as last year.


I loved this scene for some reason. I think I called it the "tree of life" at some point and made everyone stop so I could take a picture of it.

I'm still trying to get the hang of not making all my pictures blurry. One day I will be the master though.


Here at the Southeast Botanical Gardens, you can pretend that your entire head (and sometimes shoulder and arm) is Dori's single eyeball!!! I'm telling you...nothing gets me in the holiday spirit like creepy wooden fish.

Steph and Erik had to be Nemo, of course. Finding Nemo IS the best Christmas movie out there. I like how happy Erik looks here.


I was trying to be polite and listen to what Erik was telling me, while also looking glamorous for the camera. I don't think I succeeded on either because I don't remember what Erik said and I have a very pained expression on my face here.


So not ready for this.

I decided Dustin needed to be in more pictures. And we just need more pictures like this of us, in general.

Then the flash refused to work for a little while.

I guess I got scared. Of Dustin's face, of course.

Laughing at Steph (not pictured, duh) doing all this sexy modeling pictures while Erik captured every single one for blackmail later in life. Well, at least that's what I assume he'd be doing with them. If not, he's an idiot.

Checking out the stunning results of her photo shoot.


Haha, I look like the ultimate third wheel here! I should've squeezed in between them. Steph's boobs, I mean. I was cold and I can only imagine how toasty it would've been in there.

I wish I had gotten a better shot of this bridge. I have one on my phone from last year but we need to get the cord to hook in up to the computer. Anyhoots, this is when we started to head back once we found out there would be no laser, light, fireworks spectacular show. Quite the disappointment. But the Hodges had fun and it was a good excuse to just hang out with them so I'm still glad we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment