Monday, April 27, 2009

Adventures with Apollo!

This last week, Apollo and I have been taking very long walks in the hopes of discovering something new. My main goal was to see how far away stores are from our house. We live in a military housing community right next to Kadena Air Base. The community has houses, 2 lame playgrounds, and a bridge that goes straight onto Kadena. The parts of Kadena we're close to basically have nothing. The daycare, kennels, and the gas station/shopette are within walking distance but we weren't interested in going to any of those places. We wanted to explore off base. The first day we walked for about an hour and got to a forest. Then we went home. The last thing I need is a snake bite that'll get me sent off the island.

But the second day we walked in a different direction and had a very nice walk indeed. But once we go to some stores we turned around. It took about an hour and we were very tired and humid. But we (meaning just Tara) took some pictures along the way.

Here's lovely Apollo pulling the crap outta my arm.


There are many many cute little gardens on Okinawa. Here's one we saw with some coconut trees.

Tiny kitten!

Dalmation duck.




Here's someone's garden. He was actually over to the far left but he didn't notice me.


You can't read it but this was just on the side of the road randomly and it told a story about this ginormous snake that would destroy crops and such unless the villagers sacrificed a young girl to it. I read it and announced to nobody, "I KNEW IT! I knew there were virgin sacrifices somewhere on the island!" Okinawa just gives off that vibe to me. *shrug*

Here's the trail that supposedly leads to the pond where the giant snake lives. Apollo and I started to go down but then I remembered that I don't like nature and I didn't wanna spend the rest of the day picking ticks off of Apollo.

One of the hundreds (maybe thousands. I have no idea) of shrine-like cemetarys they have here. I like them. I think there's something very peaceful about them.

Here's some info for you guys. And look! There's me!



Shisa! And Apollo trying to pull me away from taking pictures. He wasn't too happy with me at this point.



Can you tell I really love the gardens here?? I want one.


This is where we rested for about a minute.

Hooray! A store! I don't know what it was but we got there and we were proud.
Apollo's note: What's all this "we" stuff??

No comments:

Post a Comment