Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Not too shabby

If you read my previous post from today you would have found out that my first April Fool's day trick didn't get the reaction I had hoped for. I suppose I could've gotten up this morning when Dustin was getting his breakfast to yell "APRIL FOOL'S!!" in his face so he wouldn't have been so confused. Except I would never wake up that early just for a prank. It's just not worth it.

The great thing is that I had something else up my sleeve. It also involved food but in a nicer way. It wasn't really a prank either. It was just plain fun and I figured Dustin would like this one alot better.

I got the recipe for these "cupcakes" off of the Family Fun website and decided I HAD to make them. They look like cute little cupcakes with purple and blue frosting but they're actually mini meatloaves (meat loafs?) with coloured mashed potatoes on top. How fun is that?! I was soooo excited to make these little gems. You have no idea. I'd been planning for almost two weeks and I have the worst time keeping fun secrets. I suck at not telling Dustin what I got him for Christmas or his birthday every damn year. So this was super hard to keep to myself. I would literally jump with excitement whenever I thought of them. And the best part is, they actually turned out really really well! They were super tasty!

Here's the meatloaves before I put them into the oven. They already almost look like cupcakes I think.
Here's the "frosting" mashed potatoes. Since the milk we had was already blue and I had to use it in the potatoes, I had limited choices in my colours. Oh well. That purple was a nightmare though. I couldn't quite get it the shade I wanted.

All decorated! Yes, they look like a 5 year old did them. I need some decorating supplies! I miss Mrs. Fields. :(

Dustin approved!
When he came home they were all done and ready and I was ready to tell him I made cupcakes since he hasn't been feeling too well the last few days and I knew they would bring him some happiness. But I wasn't prepared for his question:
"What kind of cupcakes are they?"
Shit. I started to kinda giggle and then replied: "Special cupcakes...Oh damn, don't ask me that question! They're good ok? I already ate one so you know they're not poison."
Had I not giggled I would've been in the clear. The nice thing was that Dustin actually thought they were real cupcakes! And he even licked the "frosting" first and couldn't figure out what it was. Then he unwrapped it and was like, "Is this meat??" Then I explained and was all, "April Fool's!!!" with my arms all up in the air because I can't say it any other way.
So all in all I would consider that a successful first April Fool's. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment