Monday, April 20, 2009

A tropical Saturday

I don't know about you guys but I can't wait for the summer. Especially now since I live on a tropical island and there's about 5,000 (or 80) beaches on the island. It's pretty short drive to get to one which is very exciting for me and Dustin. Neither of us have ever lived by a beach before. Let alone 5,000(or 80) beaches!! You don't even have to really plan a day at the beach in advance here. So we didn't, and we somehow ended up on a cute part of Sunset Beach that we haven't been to before.
It was right behind this massive resort hotel. I wanna stay at every resort on the island at least once because they put alot of money into them and they are so gorgeous! Plus, it's right on the beach.

Here are some lovely flowers I had to stop and take a picture of on the sidewalk. Are they lilies?? I have no idea. I just thought they were pretty and I was really excited to be outta the house for once. I think I'm getting cabin fever. If I don't get off base at least once I week I start to freak out.

This is how you know you're about to get to the lovely beach.

This is Sunset Beach! They have a windmill here for some reason. We liked it.

If it were about 5 or 10 degrees warmer, it would've been warm enough for us to go into the water. These people are crazy and acting like the water was fine. It was cold people! But we put our feet in anyways. Then we just laid out on our towels for awhile.

And took pictures. I was very excited to be at the beach and to be wearing one of the 4 new swim suits I bought towards the end of last summer. They still had the tags on them. To the left of me you can see Dustin's white hairy belly.

Dustin forgot to bring his sunglasses so I put his shirt on his head to shield his eyes from the sun. I'm helpful like that. I think Dustin appreciated it too.

The hotel again. This beach had a really small sandy area and then alot of these cement(I think) steps where mom's held all their kids' beach supplies while they played in the water. There's also a little ice cream cabana up there somewhere. It was very cute.

I love living here. And I get very excited thinking that we'll be here for 3 more summers after this.

After about 30 minutes of laying on the sand I started to get restless and Dustin started to get sleepy so we decided to explore. The sun had gone behind the clouds and it started to get a little cooler than comfortable as well. That's when I found this poor, dead puffer fish. At first I thought it was fake because it kinda looks like it might start talking. But then I saw it's battle scars on the side of it's belly. It wasn't a peaceful end for this guy.

This picture was taken to show how clear the water is here.

We walked along the sea wall for awhile.

People are allowed to decorate the sea walls here which is pretty awesome because every asian person can draw amazingly well. It's just a fact. I liked this one the best.

I've noticed that they really like dolphin statues here. I have no idea what this is for.

Here's the windmill again. We walked right past it.

I made Dustin pose like this because I was trying to get a candid picture before and he turned around and ruined everything. He's pointing at nothing. Actually, I think he was telling me that this chart thingy told you how fast the windmill was moving or some crap like that. He can't read kanji so I think he was just bullshitting me. But he was probably right. Sometimes I pretend I know how to read Japanese too but I'm usually just guessing. Most of the time I'm wrong.

This is a pineapple! At least that's what I said as I was taking this picture. But I really have no idea. It could be anything. It is Japan, after all.

These people were just sitting in this fountain/stream thingy by the resort. It was kinda weird and didn't seem like that was the sole purpose of the fountain. But I guess it's alright if they were doing it. I bet if I tried they'd totally kick me out. I'm not cool enough. :(

We were hungry after all the walking and decided to go to Ono Kau Kau and see what all the fuss was about. A lot of Americans come here to have some "Hawaiian" tasties. It was pretty ok. It was basically Japanese style Hawaiian so not totally what I was wanting. The Hawaiian place in Boise that catered Dave & Sammee's wedding was waaaaaaaaaaaay better. I really wanted some coconut rice but they only had plain rice.

Instead of napkins they had tissue boxes in the middle of every table. I'll tell you, tissues really don't work well in place of napkins.

We chose to eat outside since they didn't seem to have a/c inside. The place was kinda cute and they at least had Hawaiian music playing which made me feel like I was living on a tropical island.
Here I am deep in thought about food. I was looking at the picture menu when Dustin took this. He also took some other blurry pictures of my bottom half that I deleted when I found them later.

Here's another picture Dustin took. I'm not sure what he was aiming at, if anything. Maybe that ugly couple that was sitting back there. We're not very fond of the uglies. When we got our food we were so hungry that we forgot to take pictures. I was about halfway through my plate when Dustin suggested it. But it was just too late.

I only allow Dustin to take my picture so I can get away with making this face. How many pictures do I have of my face doing this? It's been going on for about 4 years. I will never get a different expression.

We ended the night attempting to get drunk. I had cran-raspberry mojitos to keep the whole tropical theme going. Dustin and I had about 2 drinks each over the course of about 5 hours. We're not very good at drinking. We don't particularly like shots and we hate getting full off of liquids. You know when you drink so much that when you move you can hear all the beverages sloshing around in your tummy? Yea, we hate that. I also like my drinks very very sweet so lately I've been getting a stomach ache from the sugar before I even get buzzed. We're total old people.
I will end this post with this kitty to show you all what an Okinawan kitty looks like. Notice the slanty eyes! This is the most Asian looking animal I've seen here.

2 comments:

  1. The windmills are for generating energy by the use of wind power. Many people around the world are advocating this but a lot of people think they look ugly. We've got some here. Better ugly and save energy right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they actually look kinda cute. This one had dolphins painted on it. lol

    ReplyDelete