Thursday, March 05, 2009

Things I've learned/discovered since being in Okinawa for the last almost 3 months

1) Every military spouce blogs here

2) I didnt really know what good sushi tasted like


3) There are over 100 different kinds of pineapple


4)This right over here-------------------------------->
is Okinawan soba. It is noodles. It is ribs. It is fish cakes (its good, i swear!). It is delicious. And I now can make it at home thanks to the commissary supplying all the ingredients. Nevermind that we found them all later that day off base at Jusco for much cheaper.

5) Jusco is like a Japanese Walmart type department store. Its probably my favourite place to shop here.

6) Mainland Japan and Okinawa are two very different places. Im gunna be totally clueless when we make the trip there later this year.

7)Taco rice is another traditional Okinawan food believe it or not. And I dont know how its not popular everywhere. Its exactly what it sounds like. All the fillings you put inside tacos are just placed on top of sticky rice. Its awesome.

8) The sweet potato is purple here and EVERYTHING is made with it. Mostly desserts though. So if you see any purple cakes, pies, cookies, desserts, anything...its probably made with sweet potato. They're a little obsessed. I dont care much for it.

9) Okinawans are obsessed with being Okinawan. Everything that is traditionally or culturally theirs, they have to shove down your throat. Example: Goya. It looks like a bumpy cucumber. Its a vegetable that I havent tasted cause I'm not a very big fan of green veggies. But they love love love it here. Goya is everywhere you go. Goya stir fry, ice cream, keychains, stuffed animals, you name it. Goya goya goya. Its one of the many many things that are grown locally here. Along with a crapton of tropical fruits and sugarcane. :)

10) I live in a land where you can buy mini hotdogs with pictures of Hello Kitty printed on them for your kids. I live in a land where they act like Totoro just came out and isnt over 20 years old. I live in a land where you can order raw horse meat at almost any restaurant. I live in a land where you can hurt your back with all the bowing you have to do. I live in a land where cartoon characters are used for every form of advertising no matter what it is. I live in a land that is OBSESSED with Lilo and Stitch because they think it takes place in Okinawa and not in Hawaii. I live in a land where Disney characters are on bathroom walls of sushi restuarants for no reason. I live in a land of vending machines with cold and HOT drinks that may or may not kill you.

I live in a land that is totally magical and I am convinced it was invented just for Tara.

1 comment:

  1. Tara,

    Maura.. again..

    I forgot to tell you on the corned beef post that i'm also the one from Japan. (not okinawa..)

    Japan.. not tropical.. Japan, the cities are bigger and faster.

    i could go on as it's my home. I've not been to Okinawa, so i can't compare.

    I think seeing both with open mind and heart is the best way to really see it.

    Enjoy! 4 years will go by way too quickly.

    ReplyDelete