Thursday, March 05, 2009

Wedding Invitation Fiasco

Ok, so maybe I'm overreacting just a tad but it really doesnt feel like it when I think about everything I've been through to get my wedding invitations out. It got to a point where I totally had a freak out party two days ago while Dustin was at work so that when he got home I ran into his arms completely sobbing and blubbering, "I'M DONE! I DONT EVER WANNA GET MARRIED!! I DONT EVEN CARE ANYMORE! I HATE WEDDINGS!"

He then laughed at me. I think hes just used to me being so dang dramatic all the flippin' time. But heres how I got to this point....

When we decided to have the big wedding in NY we knew we had to be realistic about it. Which meant being cheap. I'm ok with cheap as long as it doesnt look cheap. And white trash. And ugly. All of which my invitations turned out to be. But more on that later.

At first we were going to give my ginger sister the task of making our invites because shes the artsy sort and we would buy the kit for her and everything. She was all for it too. We changed our minds when we realized we would have to either send her all the addresses or she would have to send us all the invites for us to mail out. Too complicated for us. Then we decided to make them on our own computer...without an actual kit. I dont know how we were gunna do that but we changed our minds about spending money on a kit. One very important thing we needed also...a printer. Hooray. So we got super nerd Mark to come to Boise and tell us which printer to buy. While in Best Buy he informs us that the best way to approach the whole wedding invite thing is to get Microsoft Publisher to make everything and then put it on one of those portable computer file doo-hickeys (this is why we needed Mark) and then bring it to Fed-Ex Kinkos to print it. Problem solved.

Not so much. We made everything on the computer. I wanted to get it all printed out before we moved to Okinawa so that I only had to worry about getting addresses and mailing them when we got settled in. Dustin didnt want them to take up room in our suitcases. He won this one because I was preoccupied with the move and trying to control my hives. Thankyouverymuch. What we didnt think about was the fact that there may be no Fed-Ex Kinkos on the island. Luckily, we found two. One Camp Foster and one on Kadena AB. Awesome. It took us foreverrrrrrr to actually go to the one on Kadena and show them what we wanted. We did that in early January. We didnt get everything printed out until about 2 weeks ago. Basically the guy there was the biggest moron in the world and shouldnt have been working there if he had no friggin idea what an invitation looked like. And they advertised in big letters that one of their main things was WEDDING INVITATIONS! Whats the deal??

Anyways...we eventually got them. Great. They look like poop. The invite and the RSVP cards are ivory while the envelopes are pure white. The font had to be shrunk to fit so you can barely read them. Sorry guys but at this point I didnt really give a shit anymore. I just wanted them mailed out. Oh, I forgot to mention that the invitations and rsvps were printed on giant sheets of paper so that there were a few of them on one piece. Which means, Dustin has been staying at work on his breaks and using their giant cutty thingy to cut out the 88 invites and 88 rsvps. Hes still not done. Heres the best part too. We couldnt find envelopes big enough to fit everything. Isnt that wonderful? So I had to order some from amazon.com and that took about a week.

But then I had almost everything. The envelopes where here. They were stamped, addressed, filled and sealed. I spent about an hour on Tuesday doing that to about half of them. Thats how many actual invitations I had cut out. I put them in a nice neat pile where Dustin would find them and be able to mail them out the next day. Then I went on the computer. As I was researching potential parks for pictures I realized something.

I HAD FORGOTTEN TO PUT THE DIRECTIONALS INTO THE ENVELOPES.

Then I had my breakdown.

But you'll be glad to hear that Dustin came home and saved the day. We went to the BX, found little baby envelopes (so cute!), and put the directionals in those. So half of my friends and family are getting two envelopes in the mail. Just to make my wedding invitations that more ghetto. Seriously...they look so bad. And I dont even care. I really don't. I cant wait until this wedding business is over with.

Word to the wise....dont try to plan a wedding from the other side of the world. It just may kill you.

Also, the RSVP date is April 6th since I made those back in October. Try to get your rsvps in at least by the 26th. AT THE LATEST. I need to have them all before I head over to NY that same week. I dont expect them to be on time though. Its our fault that that date is right around the corner. Sorry again.

*shrug* I'm done with weddings.

No comments:

Post a Comment